Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Pearl in Paradise


Hi from Erub Island! My name is Natasha and I am a Field Officer for the State Library of Qld, Cairns Indigenous Library Services. I am currently on a field trip on Erub and have had the pleasure of being here while Paul & Michelle are conducting their computer training workshop with the Erub Community. As Michelle has stated the last few days of training has been a great experience. It has been wonderful to participate with the ladies. I thought I had learnt all I could about a computer but have been exposed to so much more. All the little hints and tips have made it easier to navigate around the net and Microsoft Word especially for me. I was a good on-line shopper before but now I'm a scary one! I can go back to my work colleagues and show them a thing or two!! Michelle & Paul are great facilitators and the workshop has been a great success, specifically tailoring the training to the needs of the participants. Patient, felxible and may be in trouble later for the on-line shopping tips that they have provided us!!!!!

Along with the great training, we have had the most spectacular environment work in. Erub is a magnificent island with wonderful, welcoming people and the island itself is surrounded by the most crystal clear waters with amazing views. I woke up this morning to the sun reflecting off the calmest waters I have ever seen. A pebble could drop and you wouldn't see a ripple. There was plenty of activity on the wharf too with people fishing and simply enjoying the beautiful morning (almost played hooky as it was too nice to stay in the office).

Thank you to Paul & Michelle who have given their time and to the wonderful people of Erub who have welcomed us.

No comments: